Student/Post-Doc Job Fair
The Students@SC Program will again host the Student/Post-Doc Job Fair. The Student/Post-Doc Job Fair is open to all students and post-docs attending SC, giving them an opportunity to meet with potential employers.
This face-to-face event will be held from 10 am–3 pm, Wednesday, November 14, in rooms D163/165/170/172 in the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center.
SC job fair employers include research labs, academic institutions, recruiting agencies, and private industry who meet with students to discuss graduate fellowships, internships, summer jobs, co-op opportunities, graduate school assistant positions, and permanent employment.
Résumés submitted by students will be provided to organizations participating in the job fair. Students should also bring copies of their résumés to the event.
For Recruiting Organizations
Participating organizations will have the opportunity to interact with students in fields related to computer science, information systems, scientific computing, and high performance computing. Ideally, each organization will send two representatives, one from HR and one technical staff member.
Organizations registering for the job fair will receive a table seating two recruiters and access to the fair for two recruiters. Space is fairly tight, but there should be sufficient room to display a vertical banner behind your table if you have one. Each participating organization will also be given online access to student résumés.
Refreshments will be provided for recruiters throughout the day in a separate lounge.
Recruiters do not receive access to the SC Program or Exhibits.
Register on or before October 19, 2018 for the best rate and to guarantee your table at the Student/Post-Doc Job Fair.
- Fee for registered exhibitors: $500
- Fee for registered exhibitors after October 19: $1,000
- Fee for non-exhibitors: $600
- Fee for non-exhibitors after October 19: $1,250
For Students and Post-Docs
The Student/Post-Doc Job Fair is open to all students and post-docs attending SC. Typically, students and post-docs seeking to facilitate connections with participating organizations submit up-to-date résumés before the conference. Students and post-docs registered for SC will receive instructions on how to submit their résumés via email.
Résumé Preparation Guidelines
Consider the following guidelines while preparing your résumé:
- Include your contact information, objective, and career summary
- Make it simple, balanced, and well-organized
- Space sections so that they are easy to distinguish
- Be consistent in style, font, spacing, and indentation
- Quantify accomplishments when you can
- Use action verbs to describe your activities and accomplishments
- Bring printed copies of your résumé to the job fair for networking
- Use multiple fonts, underlining, boldface, or italic type
- Use passive statements
- Include generic interests unrelated to the job you are seeking
- State “references available upon request” – that will be assumed
Many websites offer free advice on creating résumés. Below are three resources that may be useful:
- Example résumés for various fields
- Résumé tips for job fair success
- Example résumé with education but little experience
The following is a representation of recruiting organizations participating in the Student/Post-Doc Job Fair. This list will be updated continually as organizations are secured.
Listing is subject to change. Check back often!