SC18 Marks the 30th Anniversary of the SC Conference Series
The infrastructure of high performance computing and the HPC community have grown exponentially since the first SC conference, SC88 in Orlando, Florida. This anniversary offers all of us the opportunity to review and celebrate our collective accomplishments, not only in HPC, but also in society at large. Please take the time to participate in this historical moment through the following exhibits and events.
SC 30th Anniversary Exhibit
Monday, November 12, 6:45 pm (Ribbon cutting ceremony)
Monday, November 12, 7–9 pm
Tuesday, November 13, 10 am–6 pm
Wednesday, November 14, 10 am–6 pm
Thursday, November 15, 10 am–4 pm
- Cray 1 on Display – Drop by and get a “selfie” in front of the iconic Cray 1 on display.
- Breakthroughs Timeline – Breakthroughs in supercomputing history – a chronology of how the supercomputing past made the supercomputing present.
- Network Evolution Display – SCinet architectural diagrams showing the evolution of network technology from 10 Mbit to 100 Gigabit. See a Fuzzball router used on the NSFnet that interconnected the academic supercomputer centers and spawned the commercial Internet.
- Artifacts & Memorabilia – A variety of conference memorabilia and historically significant artifacts loaned by exhibitors and attendees.
- Beowulf Community Lounge – View a documentary video on how Beowulf changed the course of HPC forever, experience a 3D-printed personal cluster build, and gather with others in the Beowulf community. The live 3D-printed Beowulf cluster build begins when the Exhibits Hall opens and will be completed by the time it closes at the end of the week. Stop by and see the progress!
SC Conference History Display
A plexi-glass panel for every SC conference will feature each conference chair and display significant milestones for the conference and for the HPC community. Take time to enjoy these panels before or after you attend the keynote session on Tuesday, November 13, 8:30–10 am.
Commemorative Walk-In Video
A video will be shown before the keynote session and other presentations over the course of the week. It will feature highlights from the past 30 years contributed by HPC professionals from academia, industry, and government.
30-Year Perennials Recognition
Keynote Session, Exhibit Hall B
Tuesday, November 13, 8:30–10 am
Individuals and exhibitors who have been a part of all 30 years of the SC conference will be recognized at the keynote session. Furthermore, they will be featured at the SC18 News Desk reports and HPCwire’s coverage of the conference.
SC Conference Chairs Panel & Recognition
Wednesday, November 14, 10:30 am–12 pm
Moderated by Beverly Clayton, formerly with the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center, this panel will feature SC conference chairs discussing the past and future of SC, supercomputing, and HPC research. Past SC conference chairs will also be recognized at the SC18 keynote session on Tuesday, November 13, 8:30–10 am.
SC History Makers
Visit exhibitors displaying the SC History Maker sign and learn how they made supercomputing history. Information about their contributions to HPC will also be displayed on digital signs throughout the conference.